Analysing different types of trailers - conclusion

 

Having looked at various trailers for 'The Purge' and 'Spirited Away', I have noticed similarities between all trailers. However, during this time, I have also noticed differences between them.

All trailers include images of the films, and a title sequence will also appear at some point (typically towards the end of the trailer). I have noticed theatrical trailers will include more images and will give off more of the narrative of the film and go more in-depth introducing characters and their characteristics and quirks.

Teaser trailers in particular withhold information from the viewer to build suspense, this is typically continued with a release date that is just a month, or a timestamp such as 'Summer 2002'. This contrasts other trailers which have concise release dates and tv spots which usually have the release date as the end of a week for example.

TV Spots are more likely to have reviews and critic evaluations in them as they are designed to create excitement around a film release. They are roughly 30 seconds, so they are much shorter than the trailers. TV Spots have considerably quicker editing than trailers as they are trying to pack as much information In a short space of time.

Taglines can appear across all types of trailers, as can the Directors name, stars and so on. However, the billing block seems to appear more commonly in theatrical trailers.

With all of this considered and analysed I will now decide what type of trailers I am making. I am currently thinking about making a Teaser Trailer and a TV spot. The Teaser Trailer will be more suspenseful and will withhold key details to build an enigmatic air. Whereas the TV spot will have fast-paced editing and reviews to build energy before the release.

Comments

Popular Posts